Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Mumbai was not India's 9/11

I was coasting through the long weekend on Friday morning, going through the daily dose of reading with the muted TV on CNN when I noticed the word “Cricket” on the screen. This grabbed my attention since this sport is unheard of in this part of the world and I realized that CNN was breaking the news about a series of attacks in Mumbai at various locations and was showing a feed from a local Indian news channel.

As appalled as I was about these attacks, I was also surprised by the unprecedented level of coverage of the events by the news channels—fueled, no doubt, by the large number of Americans involved and the fact that most of their regular reporters were on vacation. Now that the reporters and analysts are back on air, they have gone on to suggest that this is the test that Al Qaeda has sent to Barack Obama, as predicted by Joe Biden. Also, I have heard some one mentioning that the terrorists went after the Americans in Mumbai because they could not get them here in America. All I have to say is: Sorry, it is not always about America. This was an attack against India and targeting American, British and Israeli citizens was just a ploy to garner worldwide attention and further the embarrassment of India.

Read On...

Digg

No comments: